Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Who would you like to trade places with right now?

A few months ago, maybe a year actually, my dad pointed me to an article by journalist Michael Yon. I loved it. Black gloves? Of course. If I were going to trade places with anyone in the world right now, I believe it would be Michael Yon. It would have to be "Being John Malkovich" style though, a female journalist just wouldn't cut it, unfortunately. My favorite line from Pedros, the first article I read of Yon's, was "Afghanistan is the land of a million Alamos." He was referring to the fact that Afghans build walls first and then they build their homes inside. Little compounds can be found in the middle of nowhere, miles from anything. This kind of first-hand observation is the kind of thing I envy more than anything. I am happy with my life, the choices I've made. But If I were to trade places, even for a short while, I would give anything to observe the kinds of things Yon is observing.

A few weeks ago, I started following Yon on Twitter. Some of my favorite pictures of the past few weeks:

A few hours ago during the mission, this guy was trying to tr... on Twitpic

Seedy little smile, I've seen that before.

Camel Viagara.  Afghan and Iraqi villagers like Viagara.  Via... on Twitpic

Camel Viagara? The plant observations are the most interesting to me. I wouldn't notice, or think to ask about them. It seems Afghanistan is still a place where people know the medicinal value of plants.

Wearning my eyepro this morning...Notice his shirt with missp... on Twitpic

Nice. English spelling rules are a pain.

Just got back from a 2-day mission with Charlie Company 1-17t... on Twitpic

Look at that place.

We slept in the desert that night.  A couple of illumination ... on Twitpic

Look at that photography.

Sometimes in the middle of doing the dishes, or folding the laundry I'm thousands of miles away in my mind. Walking through desert terrain through the night, Staring at the moon over Afghanistan and wondering about the local plant life. I'm thinking about foreign faces, tiny Henna stained hands and feet, dusty little curious faces. I'm taking it all in through a camera lens. I'm making poetic observations a long way from home...

No comments:

Post a Comment