Thursday, November 8, 2007

Pathology report

So we got the pathology report back. It wasn’t what I was hoping, but about what I was expecting. There were two tumors and two different types of thyroid cancers. Both are highly treatable, highly survivable cancers. The smaller tumor was papillary, which is the most common, most curable type of thyroid cancer. The larger tumor was follicular, which is also very curable but less common. The treatment is to go back and have a second surgery to remove the rest of my thyroid. Then kill anything that remains with radioactive iodine. So the good news is that after these measures, there is usually no reoccurance of cancer after 10 years. And that means that most likely there will be no chemotherapy involved. But I will likely have to stop breastfeeding Hannah. I go back for the second surgery a week from tomorrow.

BJay and I are trying to laugh this off as much as possible. I keep saying that I now get to play the cancer card whenever I don’t want to do something. And BJay is joking about not needing Christmas lights this year because I’ll be radioactive. Luckily for us, the children don’t have the word “cancer” in their vocabulary yet. So the word doesn’t scare them as much as is does other people. I don’t want anyone to freak out though, because the prognosis for me is really good. I’ll get to say I’m a cancer survivor without having to “earn” it the way most people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment